Sunday, April 13, 2008

No More Baked Goodies

My neighbor and I have been passing back and forth food.  A couple of times around 9 pm (their time for eating dinner) a small dish of their dinner will show up at my house.  Usually VERY spicy, but delicious.  I in turn have been taking over baked goodies-- banana bread, cookies and yesterday, muffins.  But yesterday she kindly asked me if my food was halal.  I asked her what are haram items that I may not know about that I could have put in the muffins.  She said "pig meat and alcohol".  I assured her that neither of these were in the muffins.  I asked her where one might find these items here in the city.  She said you can't.  I understand that if any of these products were used in my kitchen at any time, any of the food that I made would be haram.  My kitchen would be considered halal since I do not use any of these products in my kitchen.  I told her she didn't need to eat the muffins if she was worried.

2 comments:

Debbie D said...

It sounds difficult to be "neighborly" when in such a different culture! Please feel free to bake us muffins anytime! =)

Kari said...

Very interesting! So I assume you are planning on staying away from pig meat and alcohol.