Thursday, October 21, 2010

Our Babies, Ourselves: Culture and Personality

I recently read a biography about Abraham Lincoln. It told how he would only read for an hour or two, no longer, because he wanted to think about what he read.

Well, I don't have the luxury for an hour or two(!!), but I am trying to real short chunks of a book or two and then give time to think about them.

So I re-read a short section of this book carrying on about how cultures shape personality. She goes on to write that it is a very Western concept that how parents raise their children effects their child's personality, even adult personality.

I have to explore this idea here locally. How Muslims view this.

I don't know if this "Western concept" is reflective of an evolutionary worldview. As I raise Sam, I believe that God "created his inmost being, He knit him together in my womb" (Psalm 139). I believe my parenting effects his behavior and response to life, but not shapes his personality. She does write more about this in a section or two which I found quite fascinating . . .

No comments: