Wednesday, October 27, 2010

BABIES


I finally got my hands on the documentary BABIES!

I'll admit I was initially disappointed because "documentary" to me means "commentary chalked full of information". Outside of the babys' cooing, there is almost no audio. Nonetheless I began to appreciate it for what it is and really enjoyed all the cute shots of the babies.

Oh, it is about 4 babies from 4 cultures (Namibia, Japan, Mongolia, and U.S.). I suppose the lack of narration is for the purpose of allowing the viewer to come to their own conclusions. One review described it as "militant ambiguity". Of course as I watched it, I thought the title could have been "Mothering" as what we are watching is how these kids are being mothered differently.

I love the babies. I love the scenery. I love the quick glimpse into other cultures. But as I watch I can't help but be a bit skeptical as to how much of it is staged. And obviously you really can't come to any conclusions (if that is what they want you to do) based on one child.

All that said, I would recommend it. Anyone else watched it?

No comments: