Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Year of the Turquoise

Coming here I have hung up most of my Western clothes to fit in with the local women.  The local dress here is called a salwar kamis.  This is a 3 piece suit, which includes baggy pants (salwar), long top (kamis) and for the ladies a scarf.  

Its a rather enjoyable process to purchase them.  You go to a cloth shop with all sorts of colors, fabrics, and prints of cloth.  After buying, you take it to your tailor (you find the one you like and he keeps your measurements for the next time) and pick out the design you want (i.e. neck style, length of sleeves, etc).  Right now, I'm paying about $7 for one.    

I have travelled to and fro here over the last few years so I had already gathered a few in my collection.  I decided this year I would go with a turquoise theme.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that sounds pretty sweet! if i come visit, will you take me to your tailor to get one?? let's see pics of these new outfits :)