Friday, March 28, 2008

Where the Time is going . . .

Last week I hit one of those stress peaks as we switched over to Urdu script in one of our classes.  All of a sudden something I trusted so much was pulled out from under me-- Roman script-- the only letters that meant something to me.  Reading is now quite laborious, but yet somehow fun to be able to have new symbols mean something and be able to form words and then sentences from them.  We picked up a couple of kids' books from the local bookshop to try out our reading.  I read 1 or 2 sentences of Goldilocks and the Three Bears before I realized I wasn't quite there yet.  Back to "This is a book."  "I like mangoes." (1 more month til Mango season!!!)

I've also spent time getting myself updated again on infectious diseases.  I've been making a few house calls here and there.   I have already seen Leishmaniasis, Hepatitis, Typhoid, and a questionable Malaria.  A difference here is that everybody keeps their medical record.  So when I go visit someone, I ask for their record and read through all the lab reports and doctor scribbles to see what is going on.  So far it seems like everyone's treatment has been appropriate.  For most people they have no idea what is going on with them and either the doctor didn't tell them, or they didn't understand.  Sadly though too, sometimes the "doctor" they go see at a local clinic may not even be a doctor.  Just someone posing as one to make money.  I always ask to see all their medication bottles to see what they are really taking.  Hoping that what the bottle says is really what is inside.  Tomorrow we will hopefully go to the hospital to inquire about a worker of ours who is in with liver problems.  It's nice to have the freedom without HIPPA here.  I anticipate being able to look at his medical record and letting him know what actually is going on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep up with the Urdu! you'll get it :)

when you say it's different "here" about keeping the medical records, where are you referring to it being different? in other countries you have traveled to?

Joe and Mary said...

Niece, very insightful question. I am only talking about here. I am sure this is similar to other countries, but when I visited other places, they never asked me to look at their medical problems

Tomas Dias said...

are the doctor scribbles in English? And I thought things being different you meant that people have a copy(or the only) of their own medical records.