Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fall

Sam fell. Little scrape under the mouth, but cut on the inside.

Not necessarily a big deal

1. But you wouldn't believe the amount of attention he received and questions I was asked. So many neighbors asked how such a scrape could have happened! Amongst my neighbors I am one of the VERY few that does not have "maid" taking care of their little children. Mostly these maids are 7-10 year old boys or girls who are poor and often from a village. They live with these families. The maids give such close 1:1 attention that such a fall would be very unlikely to happen. And if it did, I am sure there would be [bad implications] for the maid.

I view that scrape as a necessary part of growing up, and even necessary for me as a mom, to see him get a little hurt. (not that I encouraged it, just know it will happen)

2. It happened though while we were at the park playing with the kids that live in the park. These kids live on another spectrum. They are running wild in the park all day long with minimal close supervision. 3 year olds dragging their 9 month old sibling around to play. Well, I let Sam go off and play with the crowd for a short bit while I talked to some of the older kids. I was happy to have him be included. Until I saw him running to me with blood coming from his mouth. Joe and I agreed in this context we must be counter-cultural and keep a closer eye on Sam. (Often, in certain places I am being strongly encouraged to allow others to hold or watch Sam. Next thing I know he has been taken to the next house or down the street).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So when do we hear about the "We got a maid" update?

- kas (mn)