Friday, November 7, 2008

Yellow Bride in the Corner

Its wedding season!  We've received a few invites and are getting to know the routine.  Last night I went to a portion of the wedding ceremony called the "mahndi".  The bride sits in the corner of her parents' home for a little over 36 hours.  She keeps her faced covered while relatives apply henna and other spa-like treatments (i.e. ointments and creams and lotions and potions).  I don't fully know yet the meaning behind keeping the face covered.  Anyway, I walked into the room where she sat not having seen this before.  I whispered to Carrie, "Can we talk to her? What are we supposed to do?"  I am not so savvy on cultural things at times.  The bride heard me and said, "Mary, you can greet me.  Now come here and sit with me!"  We enjoyed a lovely veiled discussion.

The next day the groom will come and take her back to his home in a procession.  And then they will begin their new life together.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so wonderful to hear from you! What a season- weddings. Any more friendly visitors in your kitchen?

Ellen Mary D said...

SO interesting...I love hearing about what you're learning in the culture and cant wait to come visit (2009???) and try a h-puff!